Leishman Legal is a family law firm based in Brisbane, Queensland, established with the aim of helping people from all backgrounds to resolve their family law issues in a timely, cost-effective and dignified manner.
Leishman Legal achieves this aim by combining family law experience both in Australia and New Zealand, for more than 20 years. We offer a range of fee structures and payment options, depending on each client’s individual circumstances. We also undertake pro bono work on a case by case basis.
Leishman Legal understands that people are increasingly mobile due to employment and family commitments and we act for a number of clients who are based interstate or overseas . We cater for clients’ needs by being able to schedule meetings or phone calls outside standard business hours and use technology such as skype to communicate with people who are unable to meet with us in person.
Leishman Legal has a strong connection with ex-pat New Zealanders living in Australia as our principal, Vanessa Leishman practised family law as a Barrister and Solicitor in New Zealand for more than 20 years prior to moving to Australia.
Vanessa is able to offer clients the benefit of her practical knowledge and extensive experience of family law in both Australia and New Zealand.
Vanessa maintains both an Australian and a New Zealand practising certificate, so is able to assist Australian based clients with New Zealand family law issues, as well as New Zealand based clients with Australian family law issues.
| More on the New Zealand Connection:
Our Family Law Services
Leishman Legal provides a full spectrum of family law services, such as:
Matters relating to parenting and children
- urgent issues involving children such as interim parenting orders, or recovery and location orders;
- where there are child protection issues or the Department of Child Safety Services is involved;
- straight-forward children’s matters such as assisting clients to develop a parenting plan or to agree on Consent Parenting Orders;
- more complex children’s issues, including urgent interim relocation disputes where one party wants to move overseas or inter-state with the children, cases relating to inter-state and overseas child abduction, and child protection matters, including where children have been abused or neglected;
- altruistic surrogacy arrangements and agreements, adoption and parentage/paternity issues
Matters relating to property and financial support
- negotiating urgent financial support following separation including spousal maintenance and interim property settlements;
- complex matrimonial property matters involving trusts, companies, cross-border issues or rural properties with farming enterprises;
- property settlements involving smaller property pools such as a small business or a single major asset such as a residential property;
- obligations in relation to future financial support for their spouses or children including spousal maintenance and child support, and prepare and advise them on financial agreements in relation to these issues;
- protection of assets where clients are remarried or entering into a new relationship through binding financial agreements,
We also provide services where there is a need for urgent protection from domestic violence, including applications for protection orders, or sole occupation of the home.
We work closely with other professionals such as our clients’ accountants or financial planners to ensure that a financial settlement is tailored to meet the client’s individual financial structure and takes into account taxation and asset planning requirements.
We assist clients through alternative dispute resolution including private mediation or collaborative negotiation and if matters cannot be resolved, we represent our clients throughout the entire Court process. If the matter proceeds to trial, we assist clients to select and brief skilled counsel to advocate for them at Court.